Sunday, January 5, 2020

Habits - Week 1: "Happy New You"

People who are doing well, whether it be relationally, physically, financially, or spiritually, are people who have learned how to do small disciplines consistently that pay off in big ways over time.
==========

Title: "Happy New You"
Speaker: Jim Hammond
Series: Habits

2 Corinthians 5:17
This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!

Philippians 2:13
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

I. Successful people do CONSISTENTLY what other people do OCCASIONALLY.

Romans 7:15
I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.

Romans 7:18-19
And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.

Romans 7:24-25
Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

II. Three Reasons We Don't Succeed

A. We focus on the WHAT but don't understand the HOW.

"You don't rise to the level of your goals, you fall to the level of your systems."
--James Clear, Atomic Habits

B. We don't see progress FAST enough.

WRONG CONCLUSIONS:

Small GOOD decisions don't matter that much.
Small BAD decisions don't matter that much.

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

No comments: