Sunday, May 24, 2015

Not A Fan: Tough and Tender

Texts

  • Matthew 23:27 "Woe to you, experts in the law31 and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs that look beautiful on the outside but inside are full of the bones of the dead and of everything unclean.
  • John 8:1-11 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.2 [2] Early in the morning he came to the temple courts again. All the people came to him, and he sat down and began to teach3 them. [3] The experts in the law4 and the Pharisees5 brought a woman who had been caught committing adultery. They made her stand in front of them [4] and said to Jesus,6 "Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of adultery. [5] In the law Moses commanded us to stone to death7 such women.8 What then do you say?" [6] (Now they were asking this in an attempt to trap him, so that they could bring charges against9 him.)10 Jesus bent down and wrote on the ground with his finger.11 [7] When they persisted in asking him, he stood up straight12 and replied,13 "Whoever among you is guiltless14 may be the first to throw a stone at her." [8] Then15 he bent over again and wrote on the ground. [9] Now when they heard this, they began to drift away one at a time, starting with the older ones,16 until Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. [10] Jesus stood up straight17 and said to her, "Woman,18 where are they? Did no one condemn you?" [11] She replied, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you either. Go, and from now on do not sin any more."]]19
  • John 15:1-11 The Vine and the Branches [15:1] "I am the true vine1 and my Father is the gardener.2 [2] He takes away3 every branch that does not bear4 fruit in me. He5 prunes6 every branch that bears7 fruit so that it will bear more fruit. [3] You are clean already8 because of the word that I have spoken to you. [4] Remain9 in me, and I will remain in you.10 Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself,11 unless it remains12 in13 the vine, so neither can you unless you remain14 in me. [5] "I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains15 in me – and I in him – bears16 much fruit,17 because apart from me you can accomplish18 nothing. [6] If anyone does not remain19 in me, he is thrown out like a branch, and dries up; and such branches are gathered up and thrown into the fire,20 and are burned up.21 [7] If you remain22 in me and my words remain23 in you, ask whatever you want, and it will be done for you.24 [8] My Father is honored25 by this, that26 you bear27 much fruit and show that you are28 my disciples. [9] "Just as the Father has loved me, I have also loved you; remain29 in my love. [10] If you obey30 my commandments, you will remain31 in my love, just as I have obeyed32 my Father's commandments and remain33 in his love. [11] I have told you these things34 so that my joy may be in you, and your joy may be complete.

Focus: The call to follow is tough and tender.

 

I. Don't be an ACCIDENTAL PHARISEE

A. STOMPING ROTTEN FRUIT Makes a Mess.
B. SNIPPING BAD FRUIT is fruitless.

II. Connect ROOT to FRUIT in a living joint venture.

 

No comments: