Skip to main content

Habits - Week 1: "Happy New You"

People who are doing well, whether it be relationally, physically, financially, or spiritually, are people who have learned how to do small disciplines consistently that pay off in big ways over time.
==========

Title: "Happy New You"
Speaker: Jim Hammond
Series: Habits

2 Corinthians 5:17
This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!

Philippians 2:13
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.

I. Successful people do CONSISTENTLY what other people do OCCASIONALLY.

Romans 7:15
I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.

Romans 7:18-19
And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.

Romans 7:24-25
Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God's law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

II. Three Reasons We Don't Succeed

A. We focus on the WHAT but don't understand the HOW.

"You don't rise to the level of your goals, you fall to the level of your systems."
--James Clear, Atomic Habits

B. We don't see progress FAST enough.

WRONG CONCLUSIONS:

Small GOOD decisions don't matter that much.
Small BAD decisions don't matter that much.

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OUR OMNIPOTENT GOD'S GOT YOU

June 7th - 9th, 2025 WEEK 2 _______________ The greater our illusion of control, the higher our level of anxiety. When we obsess over things we can't control, we forfeit control over things we can control and we rob ourselves of the peace we could have by releasing control to God.  "Do you trust God is capable of control?"  Matthew 19:26 NIV > Mark 6:5 NIV > How do I release the illusion of control to an omnipotent God?  John 11:1-7, 11-27, 32, 43-44 NIV > Colossians 3:3-4 NIV > What is one area of your life you need to release control over?  What is God speaking to you through this message?  What is one thing you can do this week to live out the teaching?

Therefore 6 - Kill' Em with Kindness

Romans 12:17-21 Focus: Loving your enemy is the ultimate payback. I. What our EMOTIONS say... II. What GOD says... III. Why GOD SAYS it... IV. DRAW from the WELL of MERCY             Posted with Blogsy

Exponential: Do Less, Be More

Welcome to Verde Valley Christian Church March 3, 2019 Title: Do Less, Be More Speaker: Jim Hammond Series: Exponential Focus: Don't just DO something, something, STAND there! I. WAIT Acts 1:4 (NIV) He [Jesus ] gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. Acts 1:5 (NIV) For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." · We tend to think ADDITION · God thinks MULTIPLICATION II. PRAY Acts 1:12 (NIV) Then they returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day's walk from the city… Acts 1:14 (NIV) They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers. III. BE Acts 1:8 (NIV) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will bebe my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Sama...